Brick Garage

This circa 1915 structure housed the Church Family’s automobiles. Modern for its day, with a hipped slate roof, pressed tin ceiling, and thick masonry walls, the garage was also practical. Wide hinged doors admitted cars to each bay (they were subsequently re-hung on the sliding tracks in use today). Steam heat, supplied by a boiler in the Hired Men’s Shop next door, helped ensure that the car engines would not freeze up and made winter starting easier before the availability of multi-grade oils.

A group of dedicated volunteers help to keep our 1923 REO up and running. Learn more about volunteering at HSV.