This large building was originally a working farm structure, built in 1878 for the Shakers’ flock of poultry. The Shakers built with an eye toward what is today called “passive solar gain.” The bricks retain heat from the sun, and the south-facing windows allow more sunlight in during the colder winter months when egg production could potentially decrease. Learn more about modern sustainability efforts at HSV.
During the museum era, this building was reconstructed and renovated with gallery space below and offices on the second floor. Today, the brick poultry house serves as a gallery with local artists showing their work throughout the season.