Horse treadmill, mid-19th century
The horse treadmill, also known as tread power, provided power for grain threshing, wood sawing, and other large farm machinery. Smaller treadmills used sheep or other small farm animals to provide power for butter churns, cream separators, and other small machinery.
Horse Barn Exterior
This barn originally stood on a nearby lot owned by the Shakers. It was dismantled and re-erected on the present site in 1850. The barn became known as Elder Louis’ barn, named for Elder Louis Basting of the Church Family. Elder Louis kept teams of carriage horses in the barn. The slate roof likely dates to 1876, when a number of buildings at Hancock were re-roofed in slate.
The pink color is a result of scientific paint analysis performed in 2010. There were several layers of paint on the barn, although the pink corresponds to the time period when the barn saw the most use, approximately 1890-1920.