The small grey privy located near the Sisters’ Dairy and Weave Shop was built and used by the Harvard, MA Shaker community around 1840. It was moved to Hancock and set on the foundations of a similar privy in 1990.

The Shakers used privies or out houses, but the Brick Dwelling was also equipped with close stools, or commodes for indoor use. By the turn of the twentieth century, most Shaker living quarters had indoor plumbing installed, and the privies fell into disuse and were torn down.